Special Education Needs Information Report 2020-2021

This report is designed to inform you of the different types of support available for your child at The Oaks CP School.

How does The Oaks CP School approach the teaching of children with Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability (SEND)?
All pupils in school receive quality first teaching, this means that a range of teaching and learning styles are used and that appropriate learning objectives are set for all children with a curriculum matched to their needs. Some children require specific interventions in small groups or on a one to one basis.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?
Your child’s overall well-being is paramount and at the centre of all we do at The Oaks. Please refer to our Waves of Intervention Map (attached to this document) for our staged approach to supporting social, mental and emotional health.

How will I know how my child is doing in school?
The progress that your child is making and their attainments in comparison with National Age Related Expectations will be discussed with you at parents evenings in Autumn and Spring Terms. You will be able to discuss how well your child is doing in school at these meetings. There is also an open-door policy where parents can call in to meet with class teacher’s to look at pupil’s learning on the walls and in books and have an informal discussion about their child’s progress. Mrs Trainor, the SENCO, is also available to meet with parents, please make an appointment.
Teachers use ongoing assessments to inform their planning. These assessments allow staff to monitor if children are making the desired amount of progress. Children’s progress is monitored through teacher’s formative assessments, Y1 Phonics Assessment, Termly tests, end of Key Stage SATs and Salford Reading Tests. Assessment data is analysed by teachers, the SENCO and the Assessment Co-ordinator and any issues that arise are addressed. If staff have any concerns, they will contact parents.

What should I do if I think my child has a Special Educational Need or disability?
If you think that your child has a Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability (SEND), please make your concern known to the school by speaking initially to your child’s class teacher, who will raise this concern with the SENCO in school. The concern will be discussed with you and following this discussion, school will carry out the necessary checks to ensure your child’s needs are met. We will share our findings with you and agree the next steps for your child.

How does The Oaks CP school involve children in their education and the decision making process?
At The Oaks we ‘Bring Learning to Life’ for all our children. One of the main principles is that all children are involved in planning their learning. All project learning follows the children’s interests so children are always kept involved with the path their project will take. Children are aware of their targets or next steps in their learning (age appropriate). English and Maths targets are an integral part of daily teaching and learning. Any specific social, emotional or behavioural targets are set with the individual children and referred to appropriately. In addition to this, children get feedback from teaching staff regarding immediate next steps in their learning, this may be verbal feedback or written comments in their books.

Who outside of school, can I turn to for advice and support?
If you want advice from professionals outside school, your local GP is a good first point of contact. There are many agencies that can provide you with support, some of which are listed below:


Type of support offered

Contact details

Information, Advice and Support Services Network

(parent Partnership)

Information, Advice and Support Services offer advice and support to parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs.

01204 848722


Pupil and Student Services Offer support and advice on school admissions.

01204 333143

School Nurse Service

Offer in school support and advice for a child’s health and well-being.

01204 463563

SEND Assessment Service

SEN Officer – Susan Cornwell

Advice on Education, Health and Care Plans 01204 338653

For further information about the wide range of support agencies available to you, please refer to the Bolton Local Authority offer.

How should complaints concerning SEN provision be made and how will they be dealt with?
If a parent/carer wishes to make a complaint about SEN provision they should first contact the class teacher who will voice the concerns to the SENCO. If the problem is still unresolved the parent may wish to speak directly to the SENCO who may approach the head for advice or support. If the concern continues, the parent/carer may wish to speak directly to the head who may in turn need to address the issue with governors to discuss the situation and possible solutions explored.

Where can I get a copy of the SEN policy?
A copy of the policy is posted below or alternatively a copy can be requested from the school office.

TypeFile NameDate ModifiedSize

Accessibility Plan 10:26 am 08/12/2018493k

SEND POLICY 2020 2:09 pm 09/02/2020106k

SEN Information Report 20-21 2:09 pm 09/02/202092.6k

Contact details for Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator:



Telephone number

Fallon Trainor


01204 333171

LINK: SEND Local Offer – Bolton Council website.

Waves Intervention ~ Whole School Provision Map

Area of Need

Wave 1

(Whole Class)

Wave 2

(Small Groups)

Wave 3

  (Individual Support)

Cognition and Learning

Differentiated curriculum planning, activities, delivery and outcome

In-class TA support

In-class targeted teacher support

Increased visual aids/ modelling

Visual timetables

Use of writing frames

Access to Laptops, iPads, cameras

Team Teach trained staff

Cooperative learning strategies

Reciprocal Reading

Individual Targets

Catch up programmes and booster group interventions

In class support from TAs

Guided Reading sessions

Additional phonics groups

Language for Thinking

Memory skills

Brain Gym

Toe By Toe

Individual Guided Reading sessions

1:1 support for phonics and spelling

1:1 support for specific needs

Advice from Ladywood Outreach

Advice from Educational Psychologist

Speech and Language Therapy Support

Communication and Interaction

Structured school and classroom routines

Differentiated Curriculum

Elklan Approaches


Forest Schools

Co-operative Learning Strategies

Repeated/Reworded Instructions

Increased visual aids

Use of symbols

Peer support

Visual timetables

Lego Group

Visual timetables

Now and next

Use of clicker symbols

Speech and Language support

Advice from Ladywood Outreach Service

Educational Psychologist advice

Elklan trained staff

Additional Life Skills Trips within the local community

Social, Mental and Emotional Health

Whole school learning and behaviour policy

Whole school reward and sanctions system

PSHE curriculum and circle time

Playleaders to support Rec and KS1 at lunchtime

Circle Time


After School Clubs

Lunchtime Clubs

Whole School Golden Assembly

PSHE Curriculum

Circle of Friends

Play leaders at lunchtime

In class support for Behaviour

Small group circle time

Language for thinking

Peer mentoring

Small group and 1:1 support for social skills

Advice and interventions from Behaviour Support


Individual reward and sanctions systems

Mentoring of vulnerable children

Sensory and Physical

Flexible teaching arrangements

Writing slopes

Pencil grips

Brain gym

Reception Outdoor Provision Area

Forest Schools

Team Teach Training (Moving and Handling)

Additional keyboard skills training

Additional fine motor skills practice

Dyspraxia exercises

Writing/reading coloured overlays

Individual support in class during appropriate subjects.

Trained TAs on duty at playtime and lunchtime

Use of appropriate resources including radio aids

Acorn room – quiet area away from open plan classes.

Advice from Occupational Therapy

Advice from sensory support

Sign along trained staff

Additional Physical Activities